All News & Blogs
On Sunday, during the 11 a.m. worship service, Hartwood Presbyterian Church will dedicate the new historical marker erected in front of the sanctuary.
The efforts of Stewart Jones and the Rev. Duncan Nichols to secure a marker began in 2003, following an article in The Free Lance-Star about the Civil War Battle of Hartwood Church.
Much help in providing the marker was given by Scott Arnold of the Virginia Department of Historic Resources. He worked with Jones in determining the wording of the marker. The actual erection of the monument was provided by Allen Griffith and the Virginia Department of Transportation.
The marker reads as follows:
"Organized in June 1825 by the Winchester Presbytery as Yellow Chapel Church, the brick building was constructed between 1857 and 1859. It became Hartwood Presbyterian Church in 1868. During the Civil War an engagement took place here on February 25, 1863. Confederate Brigadier Gen. Fitzhugh Lee, commanding detachments of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Virginia Cavalry Regiments, defeated a Union force and captured 150 men. Most of the interior wooden elements and furnishings of the church suffered considerable damage during the war, but were repaired. The building was listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places in 1989 and it is an American Presbyterian Reformed Historical Site."