All News & Blogs
Guide To Living overview of Fredericksburg business community
Date published: 9/11/2010
Higher education also supports the economy. Germanna Community College has campuses in Spotsylvania, Culpeper, Orange and Stafford counties. The University of Mary Washington has its main campus in Fredericksburg and has a graduate campus in Stafford and one on the way in Dahlgren.
UMW has been building the Eagle Village mixed-use shopping, office and student-housing center across from campus in Fredericksburg. That's among a number of newer retail centers in the region--including Cosner's Corner, Harrison Crossing, Spotsylvania Courthouse Village and The Village at Towne Centre.
Tourism is also a draw in the region. People visit to see the Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park and learn about the rich Civil War history in the area. Downtown Fredericksburg and Stafford capitalize on their Colonial past, which includes being the boyhood home of George Washington.
Numerous golf courses are available. The Virginia State Fair is in Caroline. The Rappahannock River is a draw for outdoor lovers.
The planned Kalahari resort in Fredericksburg's Celebrate Virginia South could boost the area's tourism dollars significantly. Kalahari's plans include a huge resort hotel, water park and conference center. Additional retail and entertainment companies could follow Kalahari to Celebrate Virginia, where a Wegmans grocery store recently opened beside three newer hotels.
The area's central location along Interstate 95 also has led to companies including CVS and McKesson either opening or planning to open local distribution centers.
Down U.S. 17 in Stafford from Geico, which is the region's largest private employer, McLane Mid-Atlantic has a large presence for its trucking operation.
Bill Freehling: 540/374-5405
As of the end of 2009, here are the 50 largest employers in the Bay Consortium Workforce Investment Area, which includes all of the Fredericksburg region and Northern Neck as well as the Middle Peninsula and Virginia Eastern Shore.
1. Stafford County Schools
2. Geico, Government Employees Insurance
3. Spotsylvania County School Board
4. U.S. Department of Defense
5. Mary Washington Hospital
6. U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation
8. Perdue Products
9. Food Lion
10. Tyson Farms
11. County of Stafford
12. Accomack County School Board
13. University of Mary Washington
14. County of Spotsylvania
15. Postal Service
16. Caroline County School Board
17. Shore Memorial Hospital
19. Giant Food
20. King George County Public School Board
21. Lowe's Home Centers Inc.
22. Americare Plus
23. Fredericksburg City Public Schools
24. Riverside Regional Medical Center
25. Target Corp.
26. Stafford Hospital Center
27. City of Fredericksburg
28. McLane Mid-Atlantic
30. TRW Inc.
32. Smurfit Stone Container
33. Medicorp Health System
36. Northampton County Schools
37. Snowden Services Inc.
38. Middle Peninsula Northern Neck Mental Health Center
39. Rappahannock Area Community Services Board
40. King William County Schools
41. Rappahannock Goodwill
42. Kings Choice
43. Haynesville Correctional Institute
44. Rappahannock General Hospital
45. Westmoreland County School Board
46. Fredericksburg Auto Auction
47. Essex County School Board
48. EG&G Inc.
49. The Free Lance-Star Publishing Co. Inc.
--Source: Virginia Employment Commission