08.27.2014  |   | Subscribe  | Contact us

All News & Blogs

E-mail Alerts

What's the status of area projects? page 5
Some are on track, while others haven't left the station.


Date published: 3/4/2011

continued

The story so far: The Virginia Department of Transportation is studying ways to improve traffic flow at the busy Falmouth interchange on U.S. 1 in Stafford.

During peak weekday hours, drivers now wait an average of nearly three minutes to pass through the intersection where Butler Road, Warrenton Road and U.S. 1 meet just north of the Falmouth Bridge.

Outlook: It will cost $25 million to shorten the wait by widening the intersection at street level. Federal money is funding 80 percent of the cost, with state funds paying the remaining 20 percent.

Construction is expected to start in early 2014, but the public could see action later this year as the surrounding land is acquired.

—Bill Freehling

GERMANNA STAFFORD CAMPUS

The story so far: For years, Germanna Community College recognized the need for a Stafford presence. After four years of work with community and government leaders there, the college started offering classes in fall 2009 in leased space in Aquia Park.

Known as the Stafford Center, this is seen as the first step toward a full campus.

Outlook: College President David Sam said creating a Stafford campus requires land and money for academic buildings. He’d like to see that by 2018.

—Pam Gould

HAVEN APARTMENT PROJECTS

The story so far: South Carolina-based Johnson Development Associates last year began construction on a 232-unit apartment complex in Fredericksburg called the Haven at Celebrate Virginia. The project should be done this summer.

Outlook: Johnson Development is also planning a second area Haven apartment community on land off Spotsylvania Parkway near the Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center. That community is expected to be built in phases, with ground to be broken for the first 256-unit complex in July. It should be done by spring 2012.

—Bill Freehling

I–95 PROJECTS

The story so far: VDOT published a draft environmental assessment of its proposed high occupancy toll lanes project on I–95/395 from Dumfries to Spotsylvania County, and held public hearings.

Outlook: The new HOV/HOT lanes project will create approximately 29 miles of HOV/HOT lanes on I–95 from Garrisonville Road in Stafford to the vicinity of Edsall Road on I–395 in Fairfax County.


Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Page