All News & Blogs
Open house in the chemistry lab, James Monroe High School, circa 1949
Visit the Photo Place
By Jennifer Strobel
By JENNIFER MILLER STROBEL
PARENTS HAD A chance to witness
Basil Constantinos "Bill" Doumas--shown in the center, pointing--shared this photo of students demonstrating the characteristics of a supersaturated solution of a chemical in water.
His lab partner was Nelson Ainsworth "Sonny" Graves Jr.
Jacob C. Russler, a parent, hat in hand, looks on.
Doumas believes the open house took place in spring of 1949.
The lab was in the basement of the original James Monroe High School at Barton Street in Fredericksburg.
Mildred Lapsley, seen in her white lab coat at the right of the photo, taught the class. The lab is now a unit in Maury Commons condominiums.
Doumas, who provided the information for the Flashback column, noted, "Though difficult to see, there are gas and water supply connections at the rear of the work bench. The water valves point straight down to the channel, which connects to the sink at the end of the bench. The other valves, for gas, are mounted at an angle to the supply pipe. During setup for the demonstration, Sonny, by mistake, connected the gas line for the Bunsen burner to a water supply valve. Imagine our surprise, and that of others too, when we tried to ignite the Bunsen burner!"
Doumas, a 1950 James Monroe graduate, lives in Fredericksburg.