11.27.2014  |   | Subscribe  | Contact us

All News & Blogs

E-mail Alerts

Spotsylvania man charged in Route 3 quadruple fatality
A grand jury indicted a Spotsylvania man Monday for his role in a head-on collision that caused the deaths of four young people on Route 3.

Date published: 10/21/2009


A Culpeper man involved in a March 22 head-on collision that killed four people now faces manslaughter charges.

A grand jury has directly indicted 29-year-old Eugene Tyrone Greene of Spotsylvania County on four counts of involuntary manslaughter in connection with the accident.

Greene was also charged with one felony count of maiming, one felony count of destruction of property during the commission of a felony, reckless driving and operating a vehicle with no insurance.

According to Sgt. Les Tyler of the Virginia State Police, Trooper Brent Bogges and a Virginia State Police accident reconstruction team appeared before the grand jury earlier this week and, with the cooperation of the Culpeper County Commonwealth Attorney’s Office, successfully petitioned for the indictments.

Following the fatal accident, Tyler said that alcohol was also a factor in the fatal crash, but no alcohol-related charges were pressed.

“That is still under investigation,” Tyler said yesterday.

The accident occurred about 2:50 a.m. at the beginning of a curve along the only remaining two-lane section of State Route 3 just east of Stevensburg (near Clay Hill Road) in Culpeper County.

According to Tyler, five people in a 2004 Toyota Corolla were heading east toward Fredericksburg when their vehicle was struck by a 2002 Chevy Tahoe—driven by Greene—that on the wrong side of the road.

Dead at the scene were 20-year-old Tyler Scott Harlow, the driver of the Corolla; 20-year-old Joseph Lee Sahnow; 19-year-old Tianna V. Jones and 21-year-old James B. Cook.

Harlow, Sahnow and Jones were all from Greene County while Cook was from Marshfield, Vermont.

The only survivor on the Corolla was 27-year-old Howard John Steiniger of Fredericksburg who was sitting in the right rear seat of the vehicle.

Greene also was taken to Mary Washington Hospital and treated.

According to Tyler, Greene was advised of the indictments late Monday and turned himself in to police that night.

His bond was set at $20,000.

Donnie Johnston: djohnston@freelancestar.com