You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Teens claim they were shot in Stafford for no apparent reason

Teens claim they were shot in Stafford for no apparent reason

Only $5 for 5 months

The two teens who were shot during a bizarre altercation in southern Stafford early Dec. 28 claimed Thursday that they had no idea why they were shot.

But they were clear about who shot them—27-year-old Karl Heinz Dupuy of Stafford.

The boys, ages 15 and 16, were the key witnesses put on by prosecutors Ryan Frank and Amy Casey during a preliminary hearing Thursday in Stafford Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court.

Judge Julian Johnson certified two counts of attempted murder, two counts of aggravated malicious wounding and a firearms charge to a Stafford grand jury after the hearing. Dupuy continues to be held without bond.

As is customary in preliminary hearings, defense attorney Price Koch put on no evidence. But Dupuy demonstrably shook his head at several points of the boys’ testimonies, making it clear he did not agree with what was being said.

According to the teens’ stories, they were out that night without their parents’ knowledge and had unsuccessfully tried to buy “blunts” at the 7-Eleven at State Route 218 and Town and Country Drive.

They wanted the blunts to use in smoking marijuana, the teens said, so they went to the nearby Giant parking lot to seek out someone old enough to purchase them. There they met Dupuy, who both boys claimed they’d never seen before.

They said Dupuy agreed to buy the blunts and in return they asked if he wanted to smoke with them. The three agreed to go to Dupuy’s home on Sierra Drive to get high.

The 15-year-old boy testified that they were at Dupuy’s home for about 30 minutes. He said there had been no arguments or indication that anything was wrong when the boys decided to leave.

The boy said he was outside about to get on his bicycle when he “heard a boom and saw a flash.” He said a second shot was fired that struck him in the leg.

He said he looked up and saw Dupuy shooting as his friend as the 16-year-old was running down the street. He said Dupuy then came back to him and shot him twice more before pistol-whipping him.

The younger boy said that in addition to bullet wounds in his legs and arm, he suffered a broken leg and needed 26 staples in his head. The boy was still on crutches Thursday.

The older boy, who was also shot three times, testified that there was some joking during the smoking session in Dupuy’s home about the tools his friend was carrying in his backpack and how they could be used to rob someone. But he said there was no conflict prior to the shooting.

Under cross-examination by Koch, it was clear there were some lapses in the boy’s memory. “I can’t recall,” he testified at one point. “I was high as hell.”

In an affidavit for a search warrant filed in Stafford Circuit Court, Dupuy is said to have told Deputy Vernon Galyen that he shot the boys after they took out a rusty hammer and a metal pipe from the backpack and began to threaten him.

Galyen, who took Dupuy into custody shortly after the shooting, testified that Dupuy had blood on his bare feet when he apprehended him at the 7-Eleven. But Galyen was not questioned about what Dupuy said to him.

Detective Ben Woodson said a gun was recovered at the crime scene and a backpack was recovered that contained three wrenches, a metal pipe and a claw hammer, among other things.

Keith Epps: 540/374-5404

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


Breaking News

News Alert